Weekly Reader, June 10 , 2024

Started by Jeff, Jun 10, 2024, 02:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

TONS of X-books!  Also rolled over the three Geoff Johns books.  I actually feel pretty confident that I'll get through this list this week. Except maybe the Newburn trade but I'll definitely get it started.

Marvel Unlimited
Cable 3
Resurrection of Magneto 3
Rise of the Powers of X 3
Wolverine 46
X-Force 50
X-Men:Forever 1 - Gillen
X-Men 33

DC Universe Ultra
Batman 147 - ok I'll give it one last try...
Action Comics 1065
Green Lantern 11
Superboy and the Legion of Superheroes (1977) 242

Hoopla
Geiger 2
Redcoat 2
Rook: Exodus 2
Newburn, Volume 2 - (Collects issues 9-16)
———————————————————————————————

Perry

Marvel Unlimited
X-Men: Forever #1
Rise of the Powers of X #3
Wolverine #46
X-Force #50
X-Men #33
Weapon X-Men #1
*Captain America #6
Captain America #7
Amazing Spider-Man #152 (1975) *Continuing the Marvel Reading Order list
Avengers #141 (1975) *Continuing the Marvel Reading Order list

DC Universe Ultra
Action Comics #1065
Green Lantern #11

*Batman: Dark Age #1
*Batman: Dark Age #2
Legion of Super-Heroes #242 (1978) *Continuing our LoSH read-through

Other
Newburn v2 (issues 9-16)
(Adding something here before the week is over, I am sure)  :-[

Amazing - Not much here, Shocker does Shocker things that are not shocking. Did enjoy the J.J. Jonah stuff  :D

X-Force - Directly after an issue I enjoy, Percy rears his bad side again. Horrible resolution. BAH.

Gay Titan

I'll get to my LCS later this week, but I picked up these yesterday at a used book store. Comics were a dollar and still in very fine to near mint condition.

Cyborg (2015) #4
Hawk & Dove (1988) #5
Hawk & Dove (1989) #19
Teen Titans Spotlight (1986) #9, 19

Perry

Quote from: Gay Titan on Jun 10, 2024, 02:34 PMI'll get to my LCS later this week, but I picked up these yesterday at a used book store. Comics were a dollar and still in very fine to near mint condition.

Love dollar comics!! None of the shops here have that. I just don't get why... isn't "a sale" of something you wouldn't usually sell, better than "no sale"? I guess not.
???

Marvel Unlimited
Wolverine #46

X-Force #50
X-Men #33
Weapon X-Men #1
*Captain America #6
Captain America #7

DC Universe Ultra
Action Comics #1065
Green Lantern #11

*Batman: Dark Age #1
*Batman: Dark Age #2

Other
Newburn v2 (issues 9-16)
(Adding something here before the week is over, I am sure)  :-[

X-Men Forever - Most certainly read this before reading Rise of #3 as they almost read, together, like one big issue, but both are by Gillen who, man, I really love. All of his Sinister stuff is coming to a head and it is pretty damn good!!!

Rise of... X - As stated already, this ties into Forever, though not  precisely. Can't say more but between these two titles, the women, two in particular, are in heaps of trouble  ;D

Wolverine - A few things towards the end not-withstanding
Spoiler
like how the Stark Sentinals just stop looking for Ship after it dives underwater  ::)
[close]
I really, really liked the first 2/3rds of this issue. And I mean really like it. The end was also very cool!! Reading this first next week!!!

X-Men - Duggan is just boring the shit out of me. There are a couple good things in here, but it just seems so... bland. I think the art isn't helping with how I feel about Duggan, and that isn't fair. Still, the restart of the the X books is the only reason I am reading this. Can't wait until I no longer feel the need to try. All that said, again, there were some bright spots in this... even though one of them came from a very stupid and jarring reintroduction,
Spoiler
The way Kamala just calls Doom...
[close]
I will say that I did enjoy seeing
Spoiler
Doom's mutants again
[close]
. Also liked
Spoiler
seeing "the end" of a certain Dr. Devo
[close]

Weapon X-Men - Hey, I had to try! An Exiles type title with 5 variations of Logan? I had to try. It was fine. Not worth coming back for, wish it was a done in one, but pretty fun and funny at times and glad I tried it.
Moving On!!!
 :)

Jeff

Marvel Unlimited
Cable 3
Wolverine 46
X-Force 50
X-Men 33

DC Universe Ultra
Action Comics 1065
Green Lantern 11

Hoopla
Geiger 2
Redcoat 2

Resurrection of Magneto 3 - way too much talk talk talk in this one. This whole issue could have been told in 2 pages. But we finally got to the important part by the last page.  Gives the next issue some promise l

X-Force 50 - Ended kind of abruptly but brought the series to an ok closer.  I like the new room mate situation for two of the characters.  I'm hoping we don't have anymore clone stories after this.

Perry

Marvel Unlimited
Wolverine #46

X-Force #50
X-Men #33
Weapon X-Men #1
Captain America #6
Captain America #7

DC Universe Ultra
Action Comics #1065
Green Lantern #11

Batman: Dark Age #1
Batman: Dark Age #2

Other
Newburn v2 (issues 9-16)

Batman: Dark Age - After the first issue, which was good, I still thought I would probably end up just skimming through the second, but I was wrong. This is a long (but fast) read, coming in at 46 pages each, and it is just another alternate origin/history/life story, but I really enjoy the way Mark Russell writes, and the things he changes or makes the same are just a fun thing to read. I am also a fan of Mike Allred when he is "on", which does help, because he is on in this title. Only once or twice I ended up questioning his panel choice.
I did want to read the Superman Dark Age series first, and even started it, but... well... Batman pulls to me more. Going to certainly get back to the Supe's one after this one now.

Captain - So, yeah, I think Jimmy had the right idea, well maybe I should say Jeff as he bailed before even Jimbo did, but issue 6, the semi-final arc of this story came and went with all the luster of a fresh turd. I can't remember feeling so down on a JMS written issue in a long time. Sure, it was cool seeing
Spoiler
the Eye of Agamotto become one with Cap's shield,
[close]
but other than that.... This was like a very poor knock-off of the Punisher story we read not too long ago. I enjoy seeing Steve fight the Nazis, always will, but something here was off.
Sadly, the next issue garners even less joy from me. I read it, I didn't skim, but I'll be damned if I truly remember more than a couple items about the issue. Bah. Much like the rest of the guys I am off this title now. Sad. I like JMS's writing. Or maybe I LIKED it at one point?
:-\

Jeff

Marvel Unlimited
Cable 3
Wolverine 46
X-Force 50
X-Men 33

DC Universe Ultra
Action Comics 1065
Green Lantern 11

Hoopla
Geiger 2
Redcoat 2

X-Men:Forever 1 - Excellent book. Basically the continuation of the best X-book, Immortal X-Men.  They really should just let Gillen run the show.

Rise of the Powers of X 3 - Even more Excellent!  I did not see that ending coming!

Cable 3 - I'm ready to move on from this arc. I love Cable but this story isn't very engaging.

Wolverine 46 - More bloody greatness.  A bit of a quieter issue than the previous ones but still so much better than a lot of what's out there to read.

X-Men 33 - Not as good as previous issues.  This issue has too many characters in it so no one is really getting any development.  Looks like the big battle is coming up in the next issue though.

Jeff

Quote from: Perry on Jun 11, 2024, 12:08 PMBatman: Dark Age - After the first issue, which was good, I still thought I would probably end up just skimming through the second, but I was wrong. This is a long (but fast) read, coming in at 46 pages each, and it is just another alternate origin/history/life story, but I really enjoy the way Mark Russell writes, and the things he changes or makes the same are just a fun thing to read. I am also a fan of Mike Allred when he is "on", which does help, because he is on in this title. Only once or twice I ended up questioning his panel choice.
I did want to read the Superman Dark Age series first, and even started it, but... well... Batman pulls to me more. Going to certainly get back to the Supe's one after this one now.

Hmmmm.  I'm now interested in this.  I'll have to add it.

Jeff

Marvel Unlimited
Cable 3
Wolverine 46
X-Force 50
X-Men 33

DC Universe Ultra
Batman 147
Action Comics 1065
Green Lantern 11

Hoopla
Geiger 2
Redcoat 2

Batman 147 - This was better.  Maybe it's making a turn and I'll be ok with it in the end.  Seems like we're finally moving on from all the woe is me stuff.  I'll stick around a little longer.

Action Comics 1065 - part 3.  I liked the
Spoiler
breakout by Supergirl and Conner.  That was fun. I only wish it had worked. 
[close]
Especially loved the backup story and seeing
Spoiler
Vril Dox
[close]
back!
That made this even more exciting for me.

Green Lantern 11 - I was wondering when that last part was going to happen!  About time
Spoiler
Carol got her Sapphire ring back!
[close]
Hopefully we can move past the sappy love story part of this series because all the rest of it is fun!

Jeff

Marvel Unlimited
Cable 3
Wolverine 46
X-Force 50
X-Men 33

DC Universe Ultra
Batman 147
Action Comics 1065
Green Lantern 11

Hoopla
Geiger 2
Redcoat 2

Geiger 2 - Good issue.  I like the western feel to this story and the adventure is ratcheting up.

Redcoat 2 - my least favorite surprisingly but still good.  Bit of a Highlander feel to it but with a much dumber protagonist.

Rook: Exodus 2 - Enjoying this quite a bit.  Great characters and amazing art by Jason Fabouk.

Perry

Marvel Unlimited
Wolverine #46

X-Force #50
X-Men #33
Weapon X-Men #1
Captain America #6
Captain America #7

DC Universe Ultra
Action Comics #1065
Green Lantern #11

Other
Newburn v2 (issues 9-16)

Action - I also enjoyed what Jeff has under his first spoiler tag, but think I enjoyed the second spoiler tag more  ;D  Plus, I really enjoyed the sketchy art style in that second story. Still curious as to who is in that main containment tube, or whatever it is. Hope it isn't someone I don't know. Ha

Green Lantern - I don't know, I like the last page of the main story, showing what it showed, and the reveal
Spoiler
of the counsel being comprised of all Durlans
[close]
was cool, but... I don't know... two issues in a row that I have not been as wowed by this as I was early on has me a tad worried. The back-up was okay, not a fan of GL character, at all (sorry Jeff, I know you love the GUY ;) ), so it makes it hard to like that part, but it was decent enough.  [/font][/size][/color]

Legion - Another pretty decent Levitz story, or continuation in this case, and man, I am digging this art team of Sherman and McLeod. Plus, and I am spoiler tagging this even though there is not a true spoiler involved,
Spoiler
Wildfire is more Wildfire for me here. He is a dick, but one I can understand. Not his usual going off on bullshit, but just being really... dedicated  ;D Brainiac 5 seemed a little off here, or greatly off, which drops the score of this a tad for me, but Element Lad more than makes up for it and Ultra Boy, even through 70's over descriptive storytelling technique (of telling us what is going on in the panel through dialog instead of captions or us understanding what the art is conveying  ;D ) has a nice moment as well.
[close]
Back-up story was "meh" but par for the course in this title, but most of that feeling from me was probably the art.[/font][/size][/color]

Perry

Hey Jeff, or anyone, any idea why I keep getting this in each and everyone of my posts? I usually have to go back and delete them and maybe I only see it on my side, but yeah, this is on here all the time...

At the end of the Green Lantern comment and the Legion comment I get this at the end ..." [/font][/size][/color]"... even though I am doing nothing to change font, color or size

What is that?

EDIT - Could it be the Spoiler tag doing it?

Also, they don't show up at all when I click on "Modify" (like I was going to change the message), but are at the end when I do a "Quick Edit". I am tired of going back and removing them but can't figure out why they are there

Perry

This is just a test

Trying to see why and when those damn end markers are being placed in my posts.
Spoiler
Testing
[close]

testing  ;D test

EDIT - okay, it isn't the spoiler tag nor the smiley doing it. WTF?!?!

Oh, color or strikeout maybe?

Color testing....

strikeout testing...

testing blah blah.
gfjhef
ljhhf fhfhkdf

end test

Perry

Wolverine #46

X-Force #50
X-Men #33
Weapon X-Men #1
Captain America #6
Captain America #7

DC Universe Ultra
Action Comics #1065
Green Lantern #11

Legion of Super-Heroes #243<-- ADDED

Other
Newburn v2 (issues 9-16)
Duke v1 (Collects issues 1-5) <-- ADDED
Miracleman (Gaiman and Buckingham - Collects issues 1-7) <-- ADDED

Gay Titan

I have a lovely white box stating that I am not allowed to view spoiler content.