Weekly Reader, June 3, 2024

Started by Jeff, Jun 03, 2024, 03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I think Marvel accidentally dropped more issues than they meant to tonight but I was able to download them all!  If they pull them back I'll shorten the list but for now, this is my reading plan!

Marvel Unlimited
Free Comic Book Day 2024: Bloodhunt/X-Men
Free Comic Book Day 2024: Star Wars
Free Comic Book Day 2024: Ultimate Universe/Spider-Man

G.O.D.S.  5
Captain Marvel 5
Avengers Twilight 3
Resurrection of Magneto 2
Cable 2
Dead X-Men 2
Dead X-Men 3
Wolverine 44
Wolverine 45
X-Men 32
Fall of the House of X 3

DC Universe Ultra
Absolute Power 2024 FCBD Special Edition 1
MAD Magazine 2024 FCBD Special Edition 1

Green Lantern: War Journal 8
John Constantine, Hellblazer: Dead in America 4
Green Arrow 11
Superboy and the Legion of Superheroes (1977) 241

Hoopla
Geiger 2
Redcoat 2
Rook: Exodus 2

——————————————————————————————————————————-

Perry

Carrying everything over from the past couple weeks and... my word... there is no way in hell I am making it through this list. Why do I even bother?
Plus, I know there will be Hoopla drops I want to add in a couple more days.

Yeah, I need to, once again, rethink making these lists. It just puts me in a "I need to get this done and over with" mood and I end up either not reading as it is so daunting or I end up reading but not enjoying over half of what I read because I am rushing, not enjoying the art, not soaking in the story. BAH!

Marvel Unlimited
Avengers Twilight #3
Fall of House of X #3
X-Men #32 *sigh*
Wolverine #44
Wolverine #45
Immortal Thor #7
Star Wars: Thrawn Alliances #1
Star Wars: Thrawn Alliances #2
*FCBD Bloodhunt/X-Men
*FCBD Star Wars
*FCBD Ultimate Universe/Spider-Man
*Captain America #6
**Amazing Spider-Man #151 (1975) *Continuing the Marvel Reading Order list

DC Universe Ultra
Batman #147
*Batman: Dark Age #1
*Batman: Dark Age #2
*Penguin #9
*Superman: House of Brainiac Special #1
*Worlds Finest #23
*Worlds Finest #24
*Worlds Finest #25
*Worlds Finest #26
**Legion of Super-Heroes #241 (1978) *Continuing our LoSH read-through

Other
Newburn v2 (issues 9-16)
*FCBD Conan the Barbarian: Battle of the Black Stone

Jeff

Marvel Unlimited

G.O.D.S.  5
Captain Marvel 5
Avengers Twilight 3

Cable 2
Dead X-Men 2
Dead X-Men 3
Wolverine 44
Wolverine 45
X-Men 32
Fall of the House of X 3

DC Universe Ultra

Green Arrow 11

Hoopla
Geiger 2
Redcoat 2

G.O.D.S.  5 - that was excellent. A simple one and done story with bite of an ending.

Captain Marvel 5 - good issue.  This tale is shaping up nicely.i just hope Genis-Vel comes out of this!

Avengers Twilight 3 - I love that cheese ball ending! It's awesome! Things are definitely ramping up.

Jeff

Quote from: Perry on Jun 03, 2024, 01:09 PMCarrying everything over from the past couple weeks and... my word... there is no way in hell I am making it through this list. Why do I even bother?
Plus, I know there will be Hoopla drops I want to add in a couple more days.

Yeah, I need to, once again, rethink making these lists. It just puts me in a "I need to get this done and over with" mood and I end up either not reading as it is so daunting or I end up reading but not enjoying over half of what I read because I am rushing, not enjoying the art, not soaking in the story. BAH!

All you have to do is read 4 issues each day and you'll only have the Newburn trade left over for next week.  You can do it!

Perry

Quote from: Jeff on Jun 04, 2024, 12:23 AMAll you have to do is read 4 issues each day and you'll only have the Newburn trade left over for next week.  You can do it!

It looks so simple when you write it down, it is in practice that I fail. Haha

Perry

Marvel Unlimited
Avengers Twilight #3
Fall of House of X #3
X-Men #32
Wolverine #44
Wolverine #45
Immortal Thor #7
*FCBD Bloodhunt/X-Men
*FCBD Star Wars
*Captain America #6

DC Universe Ultra
Batman #147
*Penguin #9
*Worlds Finest #23
*Worlds Finest #24
*Worlds Finest #25
*Worlds Finest #26

Other
Newburn v2 (issues 9-16)

Conan FCBD - Good story, art not the greatest, but not the worst I've seen. I am interested in how this will play out, not only here but in Savage Sword as well!!!

Penguin - The Set-up!! THE set-up. Yep, still liking this.

Batman - As we know what is coming, this is setting-up (there's that phrase again) what's coming. Enjoyed seeing the one location and the advice from a friend that was given there, all those years ago  ;)

Ultimate/Spidey FCBD - The Ultimate story was straight fire! Loved the "lean in" reverse about one character and I was left trying to guess who the darkened figures are in that one shot. The Spidey story was, meh. Even Stegman didn't do it for me here.

Star Wars FCBD - First story, a one and done, it seems, was cool and brought in a very cool nod  ;D The second story, ties into the Darth Vader series, which I am not reading, so felt a littl lost there.

Bloodhunt/X-Men FCBD - Was expecting, and received, a pretty normal set up story for the mega-event. Not bad, not what I was expecting, truthfully, and that is kinda cool. That last panel dialog has me more intrigued now. Didn't see that being what was going to go on. :) The X-Men story let me down, honestly. Which sucks as I wanted Gail to pop with it. It didn't turn me off the upcoming series, so there is that, but once again... I hate character being overpowered and that was the showcase here.  >:(

X-Men - Duggan gonna Duggan, but this one was pretty decent. Loved where the story went, what happened, the return of... well...  ;) and although I am alone, and get why, I enjoyed the art  ;D

Fall of the House of X - Duggan gonna REALLY Duggan here. This was weak, but did enjoy a couple of things, mainly the twist ending. Hahahahahaha

Avengers Twilight - Yeah, I like this. Jeff nailed my feelings about it being seemingly much like a story we have read hundreds of times, or feels like is, yet I also still dig this. And yes, that last panel was cool.

Jimmy T

I got stuff to read! I've ready my last 3 weeks of Marvel, but I'm not sure I'm gonna post all the books, but I should come say what I really enjoyed reading!!

Perry

Marvel Unlimited
Avengers Twilight #3
Fall of House of X #3
X-Men #32
Wolverine #44
Wolverine #45
Immortal Thor #7
*FCBD Bloodhunt/X-Men
*FCBD Star Wars
*Captain America #6

DC Universe Ultra
Batman #147
*Penguin #9
*Worlds Finest #23
*Worlds Finest #24
*Worlds Finest #25
*Worlds Finest #26

Other
Newburn v2 (issues 9-16)

Amazing - Ha, Peter throwing his clone corpse down a still makes my laugh, ha, just so funny. Other than that, this issue was just okay. I know there is greatness around the corner though, so I am holding steady

LoSH - First story was tight, especially for Levitz. I think I am starting to (maybe) realize that Levitz is better at long-form story telling more than single shot issues. Not saying he excels at long-form, but he hits better for me in that manner. Second story however, did nothing for me. Oh well, still a win overall.

Gay Titan

Small haul but excited nonetheless.

Amazing Spider-man #51
Batman #148
Space Ghost #2
Ultimates #1

Jeff

Marvel Unlimited

G.O.D.S.  5
Captain Marvel 5
Avengers Twilight 3

Cable 2
Dead X-Men 2

Dead X-Men 3
Wolverine 44
Wolverine 45
X-Men 32
Fall of the House of X 3

DC Universe Ultra

Green Arrow 11

Hoopla
Geiger 2
Redcoat 2

Resurrection of Magneto 2 - this was much better than issue 1.  It's a bit of a journey through this issue but that ending shows a lot of promise.  Ewing may pull this out into a good book after all.

Cable 2 - a little strange and while I've heard of this villain I'm not familiar at all. Will have to see how this next issue goes.

Dead X-Men 2 - Meh, just ok. I'll keep reading because I like some of the characters but I doubt this will mean anything important when it done.

Wolverine 44 - another good one with some great scenes with Phoebe Cuckoo.

Perry

Marvel Unlimited
Avengers Twilight #3
Fall of House of X #3
X-Men #32
Wolverine #44
Wolverine #45
Immortal Thor #7
*FCBD Bloodhunt/X-Men
*FCBD Star Wars
*Captain America #6

DC Universe Ultra
Batman #147
*Penguin #9
*Worlds Finest #20 - Added
*Worlds Finest #21 - Added
*Worlds Finest #22 - Added
*Worlds Finest #23
*Worlds Finest #24
*Worlds Finest #25
*Worlds Finest Annual 2024 - Added
*Worlds Finest #26

Other
Newburn v2 (issues 9-16)

Wolverine - I'm not the biggest fan of Percy's writing, but this is just fun stuff. Brutal? indeed, but yeah, I am having fun!! Interesting is seeing what happens to the certain someone in the box... the one that Prime Sabretooth is using to find what he seeks. I hope for that characters return. Weird to say as I never liked him prior to recent stuff, hate over-powered peeps most of the times, but yeah, I have grown to like him

World's Finest - So Finally got caught up with World's Finest. Enjoyed the Magog story, more at the start than at the end, but still enjoyed it. Glad I read it all at once and not monthly. I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much, but maybe? As for the next major story (not including the Joker/Lex one-shot and the Annual's other stories) I am really enjoying this "imp" stuff. I think had I only read the Annual story, I would not have been excited for it, but as I read it out of order (The DC app didn't have the Annual in the correct reading order spot and so I didn't know.... or forgot, really... that the imp storyline started there) I was already into the story before I had to go back and read the Annual (Thanks to Mxyzptlk for telling me to go back ;) ;D ). For me, I am digging it. Love the look of the older villains, and their counterparts  ;D and the story is pretty darn fun!! Looking forward to the next issue for sure!

Jeff

Marvel Unlimited

G.O.D.S.  5
Captain Marvel 5
Avengers Twilight 3

Cable 2
Dead X-Men 2
Dead X-Men 3
Wolverine 44
Wolverine 45
X-Men 32
Fall of the House of X 3

DC Universe Ultra

Green Arrow 11

Hoopla
Geiger 2
Redcoat 2

Dead X-Men 3 - while I normally like a good time travel story, this one is too far off the rails.  I'm going to keep riding it to the end but I'm not expecting much.

Wolverine 45 - With this we are at the halfway point.  What an awesome book this is.  IM getting to know this version of the Exiles and like them here.  Not a team I'd want to follow but I like the way Percy is using them.  And I can't wait to see what the female Sabertooth's have found!

X-Men 32 - Good one shot story in the war and happy to see one of my favorite mutants return to the book.

Fall of the House of X 3 - well that was...interesting.  I wonder if this was how Hickman had it originally planned? sure seems like it's being rushed to a finish.

Superboy and the Legion of Superheroes (1977) 241 - Fun issue and the start for a much larger multipart war story!  Levitz at the start of his good stuff I believe.

Gay Titan

Amazing Spider-man #51
Batman #148
Space Ghost #2
Ultimates #1

Amazing Spider-Man #51... I was really hoping for more from Spider-Goblin but was let down. Let's hope I can sell this on eBay.

Perry

Quote from: Gay Titan on Jun 07, 2024, 03:42 PMSpace Ghost #2
Hoping this series is good. I saw a couple variant covers and had to save them for future avatars.
;D
(They had the 'virgin' options as well, but I like the title being there)

Jeff

I may have to check that out too. Those Spave Ghost covers look great!