Weekly Reader, June 24, 2024

Started by Perry, Jun 24, 2024, 01:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Perry

Sooo, much damn carry-over from last week. 
*sigh*

Plus, I've been missing my beloved F.F so I am going to check in with them, if I get time. Plus I know there will be at least one more Hoopla drop that I want to add (Redcoat or Rook most likely). Man, I hate the feeling of "having to read", instead of "wanting to" and that is what I feel when the list gets too long. It isn't quite to that overwhelming point yet, but I better read this week, damn it!

Oh well... here we go...

Marvel Unlimited
Wolverine #47
Wolverine #48
Wolverine #49
X-Men #34
Fall of House X #5

X-Men Forever #3
X-Men Forever #4
Fantastic Four #18
Immortal Thor #8
Avengers (1975) #142

DC Universe Ultra
Batman: Dark Age #3
Penguin #10
Worlds Finest #27
Green Lantern: War Journal #9
Hellblazer: Dead in America #5
Superman #14
Legion of Super-Heroes (1978) #244

Other
Miracleman Silver Age v1 (Collects issues 1-7)

Jeff

Another big X-week.  I'll be on a plane this week for 9 hours so I don't mind a big list this week.  Gonna have a LOT of time to read!

Marvel Unlimited
Captain Marvel 6
Wolverine: Madripoor Knights 2
Cable 4
X-Men 34
Wolverine 49
X-Men Forever 3
X-Men Forever 4
Fall of the House of X 5

DC Universe Ultra
Green Arrow 12
Power Girl 9
The Flash 9
The Penguin 10
Superboy & the Legion of Super-Heroes 245
Superboy & the Legion of Super-Heroes 246

———————————————————————————————

Perry

Got a few done (4), added more (2)
>:(

Marvel Unlimited
Wolverine #47
Wolverine #48
Wolverine #49

X-Men #34
Fall of House X #5

X-Men Forever #3
X-Men Forever #4
Fantastic Four #18
Immortal Thor #8
Avengers (1975) #142

DC Universe Ultra
Penguin #10
Worlds Finest #27
Superman #14

Other
Miracleman Silver Age v1 (Collects issues 1-7)
Redcoat #3 <-- ADDED
Rook #3 <-- ADDED

Wolverine - Meh, this isn't terrible, but the shine has worn by a good bit over the last few issues

Fantastic Four - Ya know... yes, I am glad I read this. Is this a game changer? Not at all, but yeah, a cool one and done story with some not horrible art, showcasing the FF and their powers. Also started/ended with a great reminder on the situation with young Franklin Richards and his omniscient powers. Will I be reading next month? Perhaps, and that may sound like small praise, and I guess it is, but the way the FF title has gone for me over the past few years, "perhaps" is pretty darn good 

Perry

Marvel Unlimited
Wolverine #47
Wolverine #48
Wolverine #49

X-Men #34
Fall of House X #5

X-Men Forever #3
X-Men Forever #4

Fantastic Four #18
Immortal Thor #8
Avengers (1975) #142

DC Universe Ultra
Penguin #10
Worlds Finest #27
Superman #14

Other
Miracleman Silver Age v1
Redcoat #3
Rook #3

X-Men - Had actually already read this when I posted last time, I guess that sums up my feelings. Forgettable writing. Bah

X-Men Forever - We all know where this is going, but with Gillen I actually enjoy the journey.

Fall of House X - I mean, its fine, nothing bad, not really, but I find when Duggan is writing the x stuff the only thing I usually end up feeling is either anger or apathy. The latter here. Just want this to be over

Thor - This was AMAZING!!! Was it the "after Duggan effect"? Perhaps, but I really enjoyed this and it's explanation of what is going on with the elder gods. Good stuff and once again, another very cool artist on this title.

GL: War Journal - I am hoping I was just not in the mood for this story. I am kind of losing interest in this title now. Maybe it is me.

Miracleman - Loved it!! I have always wanted to read Alan Moore's take on this (totally stolen from Shazam) British property, and I think I read the first couple issues when Marvel rereleased them, but it wasn't an easy read and I think I bailed far too quickly. Well when Hoopla brought Neil Gaiman's  "Silver Age" trade of this series to borrow, I tried to find the first part of his run (The Golden Age) to no avail. No Moore's first run either (which should be read first) but I decided to dive in regardless. WOW! This is Shazam meets Nexus meets Sentry meets a little bit of the Authority. Just so damn good. And sad as now I have to wait for the final arc; The Dark Age! And that is IF Marvel still prints it. DAMN IT, I need the ending now, they better not cancel it!!

Rook - Three months, three changes to my favorite John's title. This title won the issue #3 battle between this months offerings by finally diving deeper into the mythos of the characters and their connections.Really liked this issue. I also think the Gary Frank snuck a panel or two inside here  ;)

Redcoat - I still enjoy this title, but yeah, I rank this in the last place this month, behind both Geiger (2nd) and Rook (1st). If things hold true however, issue #4 will find it back on top of the Johns'verse.
;D

Jeff

Marvel Unlimited
Captain Marvel 6
Cable 4
X-Men 34
Wolverine 49
X-Men Forever 3
X-Men Forever 4
Fall of the House of X 5

DC Universe Ultra
Green Arrow 12
Power Girl 9
The Flash 9
The Penguin 10

Captain Marvel 6 - I didn't like this issue at all.  Still hanging on to see what happens to Genis-Vell but like  most Alyssa Wong books I'm losing interest.

Jeff

Marvel Unlimited
Captain Marvel 6
Cable 4
X-Men 34
Wolverine 49

X-Men Forever 3
X-Men Forever 4
Fall of the House of X 5

DC Universe Ultra
Green Arrow 12
Power Girl 9
The Flash 9
The Penguin 10

Wolverine: Madripoor Knights 2 - overall an average story but I'm enjoying it.

Cable 4- ok ending but overall I didn't find this mini very interesting.

X-Men 34 - I hate when writers do this to Prof X. I don't care for it here either. 

Wolverine 49 - a bit of a lull in the action gearing us up for next issues big finale!

Perry

Marvel Unlimited
Wolverine #47
Wolverine #48
Wolverine #49

X-Men #34
Fall of House X #5

X-Men Forever #3
X-Men Forever #4

Fantastic Four #18
Immortal Thor #8
Avengers (1975) #142

DC Universe Ultra
Penguin #10
Worlds Finest #27

Superman #14

Other
Miracleman Silver Age v1
Redcoat #3
Rook #3

LoSh - This was fine, but man did I miss Sherman's art stylings. I guess the inker on this didn't help the cause, so I can't blame it all on Staton. The last page reveal was slightly spoiled  ;)  but makes sense. And with one more issue of this "war" to go, before I get to reread my first Legion comic... the first I bought with my own money... I am eager to get through the next issue, to see how good... or bad... that first comic is for me now. I truly remember nothing aside from the cover.  

Superman - Meh, tis okay. I actually want to like Lobo, I kind of like the idea of him, but was pretty much out of comics, or at least away from DC, when he was "popular" and then, with the other "newer" revamp version, everyone hated him, other than me it seems  ;D, so they got rid of that version. I miss him, and I have not taken hold of the current/older version of the character too well.

Hellblazer - A two for one issue with two different stories, and two (vastly different) artists. Both were fine, in an "Ice-Cream Man" kind of way, but really felt like an interruption of the quest... even though the point of the quest is to go across America and talk about all the bad stuff  ;D, but the art in each story was not very good for me. Neither of them  :-\

Worlds Finest - Jeff didn't want to read this, and while I understand why, I personally think he is missing out on a fun story.
Spoiler
It is much more like a JLA story and the two dimensional panels, showing us Supes, Bats and Robin in their "Super Friends" styling was very cool for me.
[close]
8)

Penguin - Just another solid story with
Spoiler
dear ole daughter finding out why daddy was one of the best Gotham criminals, he has a plan and he is ruthless
[close]
;D